Oshiomhole opens up on violence threat ahead of Edo election

Comrade Adams Oshiomhole

The suspended National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Comrade Adams Oshiomhole has debunked reports that he threatened violence ahead of the September 19 governorship election in Edo State.

Oshiomhole had reportedly vowed during an interview with the Arise Television that the APC would visit violence for violence if the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and Governor Godwin Obaseki wanted that.

However, the former Edo State governor has denied the claim, saying the comment was wrongly attributed to him saying that the statement “if they want violence, we will give them violence” was made by the governor, while he cautioned that “a leader does not talk anyhow.”

“I only recalled a violence threats made by Governor Obaseki,

“During the election of Governor Obaseki, when I was the sitting governor, not one shot was fired.

“My campaign for one-man-one-vote dismantled those who use violence to conduct elections instead of ballot papers. I have a track record, which I want to protect.

“Before now, I have complained about a situation where Obaseki said I should not come to Edo, that before I come to Edo, I must get permission.

“I watched a clip on Channels Television where the governor said: ‘I am the governor, between me and the deputy, we are the two persons who have immunity, I will arrest anybody who does XYZ. I will arrest him’.

“He did not say he will report to the police. So he is above the law”, Oshiomhole said.

The video clip of the interview confirmed that Oshiomhole was responding to the comment made by Obaseki, where the governor vowed to visit with stiff penalties perpetrators of violence ahead of the election and condemned the July 25 display by thugs at the gate of the palace of the Oba of Benin, Omo N’Oba N’Edo Uku Akpolokpolo.

Published By: Admin

CARL UMEGBORO is a legal practitioner (Barrister & Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Nigeria) and human rights activist. He is an associate of The Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (United Kingdom). He is a prolific writer, social policy and public affairs analyst. Prior to his call to Bar as a lawyer, he had been a veteran journalist and columnist, and has over 250 published articles in various leading national newspapers to his credit. Barrister Umegboro, a litigation counsel is also a regular guest-analyst at many TV and radio programme on crucial national issues. He can be reached through: (+234) 08023184542, (+234) 08173184542 OR Email: umegborocarl@gmail.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *