Untold stories on NDDC: Blackmail or fraud?

THE Minister for Niger-Delta Affairs, Godswill Akpabio on Monday disclosed how the Niger-Delta Development Commission (NDDC) created to solve problems of the people of the Niger-Delta eventually turned into a problem of the people in collaboration with lawmakers.

Akpabio while responding to questions to the House of Representatives probing contract scam in the agency said he has not awarded a single contract since he assumed office. Instead, he indicted members of the National Assembly.

“I have never approved a single contract not even one kilometre for the NDDC,” Akpabio said while responding to questions by the House of Representatives committee probing the financial misappropriation at the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC).

“Most of the contracts in NDDC are given out to the members of the National Assembly. If you don’t know, please ask the two chairmen,” Akpabio alleged.

Akpabio, however, said that the contracts were not given to the committee chairman, Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo.

“I don’t think the NDDC has given any contract directly to Honorable Ojo,” Akpabio said.

On the alleged missing N40 billion, he said no money was missing as the money is domiciled in the CBN.

“N40 billion cannot go missing from the account of the NDDC because it is domiciled in the CBN. Before this administration, NDDC had over 300 bank accounts with various commercial banks”, Akpabio said.

He stated that before his appointment as a minister, over 300 accounts were run by the NDDC, saying it was impossible for such amount to be missing because the government now uses a Treasury Single Account (TSA).

On allegations made by the former NDDC MD Joi Nunieh that he has compromised the audit ordered by President Muhammadu Buhari, Akpabio denied the claim, saying there is an ongoing forensic audit, and he has not hijacked it.

He explained that the source of funding the commission includes the statutory transfers by the federal government and the 23 per cent accrual from oil companies.

“N71 billion was released out of the N100 billion allocated to the NDDC in 2019”, Akpabio said.

As it stands, it is unclear if the minister is being blackmailed by the former Managing Director, Joi Nunieh as a ploy to cover up some dirty deals or she is being blackmailed by the minister. However, the investigations have commenced and will get to a logical conclusion.

At the public hearing, the Ag MD, Daniel Pondei suddenly slumped, became unconscious according to reports. The ‘fainting and broken neck’ drama is gradually becoming a pattern for public officeholders to dodge investigation.

Some have lied almost lifeless with neck stretcher and support on a hospital bed any time their investigation or arraignment was approaching.

Published By: Admin

CARL UMEGBORO is a legal practitioner (Barrister & Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Nigeria) and human rights activist. He is an associate of The Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (United Kingdom). He is a prolific writer, social policy and public affairs analyst. Prior to his call to Bar as a lawyer, he had been a veteran journalist and columnist, and has over 250 published articles in various leading national newspapers to his credit. Barrister Umegboro, a litigation counsel is also a regular guest-analyst at many TV and radio programme on crucial national issues. He can be reached through: (+234) 08023184542, (+234) 08173184542 OR Email: umegborocarl@gmail.com

1 thought on “Untold stories on NDDC: Blackmail or fraud?

  1. Amaka says:

    This country!!!!
    Only God will punish them one by one.
    Wicked and mean leaders squandering our National Cake as if it is their father’s property. They can never go unpunished. NEVER!!!!!

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *