Third Mainland Bridge closes to motorists on Friday

– Motorists to use alternative roads put in place by LASG

FEDERAL government will from midnight on Friday carry out a partial closure of the Third Mainland Bridge in Lagos State, for scheduled rehabilitation work to ensure that the major transportation facility does not collapse.

The Minister of Works and Housing, Mr Babatunde Fashola, SAN, in a press briefing in Abuja on the proposed maintenance of the bridge, said rehabilitation work would be carried out on a length of 3.5 kilometres out of the 11.8 kilometre bridge.

The project include the replacement of damaged bars, hydro-demolition of all non-firm parts and lifting of two of the bridge spans will take a large portion of the work, which is expected to last from July to January 2021.

Others are anti-rust treatment of exposed bars, replacement of 14 damaged expansion joints and other auxiliary works to make the bridge safer for commuters.

The minister said the rehabilitation became imperative due to failing and damaged portions, adding that the government cannot afford to rebuild the bridge if allowed to collapse.

He explained that the bridge is among the facilities designated for maintenance after a comprehensive assessment of the 37 bridges across the country.

The minister, while acknowledging that the closure of the bridge will bring hardship on Nigerians, said there was no other way to carry out the maintenance work without closing it partially.

“The construction of the bridge spanned three decades and we cannot afford to rebuild it if we allow it to totally collapse. Infrastructure must be maintained. After the work is done, we will have a better driving experience on the bridge.”

The minister added that about N277 billion will be needed to rehabilitate all the 37 bridges nationwide.

In his remarks, the Director, Highway Bridges and Design, Mr Emmanuel Adeoye, said the maintenance work to be done on the bridge, aside the known ones, would be directed by engineers involved.

He said alternative routes had been provided to divert traffic from the bridge during the six-month maintenance period.

Corps Marshal, Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), Mr Boboye Oyeyemi, who also spoke during the event, said a total of 250 personnel would be deployed to ensure a free flow of traffic.

Earlier, the Lagos State Government had announced alternative roads that were fixed to ameliorate the hardship during the period.

Some of the routes include: Iddo inwards Carter Bridge, Market road inwards Herbert Macaulay road and Herbert Macaulay road by Abeokuta Street as well as Herbert Macaulay by Cemetery and Apapa road inwards Oyingbo.

The first phase of the rehabilitation, it said, would focus on Oworonshoki inwards Lagos Island in the morning with traffic diversion from midnight to 1p.m. and then Lagos Island inwards Oworonshoki where traffic would be diverted in the afternoon from 1p.m. to midnight.

It urged motorists who do not have urgent assignments on the island during the rehabilitation to avoid the area to discourage the influx of vehicular movements that may lead to more chaos on the roads.

Published By: Admin

CARL UMEGBORO is a legal practitioner (Barrister & Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Nigeria) and human rights activist. He is an associate of The Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (United Kingdom). He is a prolific writer, social policy and public affairs analyst. Prior to his call to Bar as a lawyer, he had been a veteran journalist and columnist, and has over 250 published articles in various leading national newspapers to his credit. Barrister Umegboro, a litigation counsel is also a regular guest-analyst at many TV and radio programme on crucial national issues. He can be reached through: (+234) 08023184542, (+234) 08173184542 OR Email: umegborocarl@gmail.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *