Buhari mourns as 21 church members die in boat mishaps in Benue, Lagos

PRESIDENT Muhammadu Buhari has sympathized with the families of victims of recent boat mishaps on inland water ways in Benue and Lagos States.

A statement by Garba Shehu, Senior Special Assistant to the President (Media & Publicity) revealed that the President was saddened by the ugly incident in which 21 persons are feared dead.

Describing their deaths as “sad and unfortunate,” the President also condoled with the governments and people of both States.

According to the statement, President Buhari, while calling on state authorities and surrounding communities to step up rescue efforts of passengers still missing, called on would-be passengers of water transportation to adhere strictly to safety regulations outlined by national and state authorities in order to prevent avoidable accidents and loss of lives and property.

The President said such a call has become imperative in view of prevailing COVID-19 guidelines against overcrowding and night travels.

He prayed that God will comfort the bereaved families and grant rest to the souls of the departed.

The boat mishap happened on Sunday afternoon on River Benue in Makurdi Local Government Area of the state about 2:00pm at the Kwaghter axis in Makurdi area of the river.

It was gathered that some of the boat occupants had been rescued while 21 others remained missing and feared dead.

Police spokesperson in Benue Command, DSP Catherine Anene, who confirmed the incident, said the Command received a distress call at about 2:30pm, information that 23 members of ECAN Church Ijaha in Makurdi LGA boarded a boat to attend a conference across River Benue.

“At the midstream, the boat sank into the river. Marine Police search party were deployed to the scene where two persons were rescued alive while 21 persons are still missing,” she said.

Published By: Admin

CARL UMEGBORO is a legal practitioner (Barrister & Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Nigeria) and human rights activist. He is an associate of The Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (United Kingdom). He is a prolific writer, social policy and public affairs analyst. Prior to his call to Bar as a lawyer, he had been a veteran journalist and columnist, and has over 250 published articles in various leading national newspapers to his credit. Barrister Umegboro, a litigation counsel is also a regular guest-analyst at many TV and radio programme on crucial national issues. He can be reached through: (+234) 08023184542, (+234) 08173184542 OR Email: umegborocarl@gmail.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *